When I retired as a humanist celebrant I thought I'd stop writing this blog, but my fascination with all things death-related prompted more posts. They're just written from a slightly different perspective, that's all. Oh, and I still do the odd one, by special request.

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Morbid? Me?

A friend who lives miles away emails often, expecting replies promptly, the way people used to write letters every day when the post was a primary means of communication. I understand that she's lonely, but hope that one a week might suffice. I've tried phoning, but she never answers. Anyway, in a recent email she wrote, "Yes, I do think it's a morbid interest of yours, your interest in death. Rather depressing too, to say the least!". I could imagine her holding her nose. She'd asked what I'd been reading, and I'd answered that I don't often read fiction and had bought Caitlin Doughty's book, 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, and other lessons from the crematorium', which I looked forward to reading. I replied to her comment:

My interest in death and dying relates to the work I did for over twenty years conducting funerals and meeting hundreds of interesting people that I interviewed about their relatives. I heard some very interesting life stories and a lot of social history. The youngest person I did a funeral for was a stillborn baby - that was sad - and the oldest was over a hundred. I met some lovely people in the funeral trade who are kind, caring and sometimes very funny. When you're doing a job like that you need to be able to laugh sometimes. So no, it's not morbid and it's not depressing, though sometimes sad. I wouldn't have done it if it depressed me. I'm also interested in the social history of death, and in poetry and other writing about bereavement.

I think my interest in death was first piqued by a book that's now out of print about the Hunter Brothers, who were pioneering surgeons in 18th century London. One of them did some extraordinary dissections, which I saw on a visit to the Royal College of Surgeons Museum when I was an art student. We were taken there by our anatomy teacher, a retired surgeon. I believe the collection is now in The Wellcome Collection.
Don't suppose that'll change her mind about my morbid interest.

3 comments:

Simon Allen said...

Not morbid at all. A counter argument is that: I have no understanding, or interest, in football - but I do not criticise those who are or play the game.

What do people say of those who fight fires and enjoy their work? Firemen say that a 'good' fire is one with lots of flames and little smoke. What do they say of those who enjoy being nurses/doctors/paramedics? A surgeon who enjoys cutting into a living body to fix something?

I do not want to do any of those things and I could not do them. But I can meet bereaved families and help take care of that person's memory.

I help to 'send' the deceased on their way out of the living family and send the bereaved back into the world of the living. I love my work.

Margaret Nelson said...

I'd expect you to agree Simon, as a fellow celebrant. I loved it too.

Simon Allen said...

Like you, I have had to answer this question many times. Being interested in your trade and wanting to know more about is not considered 'strange' in other lines of work.

People have been doing this work for some millennia...!