When I retired as a humanist celebrant I thought I'd stop writing this blog, but my fascination with all things death-related prompted more posts. They're just written from a slightly different perspective, that's all. Oh, and I still do the odd one, by special request.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Jemima

There are broken bits of commemorative stonework lying around the village church walls. It's sad to see memorials for those who died young but even sadder to see that whatever was left of someone has ended up as a weed suppressant. Who was she?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Many stones were stolen from the churchyard and some even found in the vicarage garden a considerable time ago! Also stones get broken with weather damage and it is thought best to lay them round the foundation of the church to preserve what are left.
Since I am writing this about the churchyard it’s a good opportunity to thank those who tidy and mow throughout the year, not all are members of St. Peter’s and their work is very much appreciated.

slam2011 said...

Our churchyard path is tarmac now,but underneath are old gravestones re-used a century ago as paving. This always happens I suppose. When I think of the money spent by relatives...no gravestone is safe for more than 80 years. Even in the last forty years I've watched them sink into the ground and vanish.

slam2011 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Margaret Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Konstantin Pogorelov said...

Hello, Margaret! I found your blog because Sargon mentioned you in his video on the British Police and their progrssive bias. I was surprised to see what you have here: I think open engagement with these questions is so uncommon. Just recently I was reading Ernest Becker's "Denial of Death" and really enjoyed it. I get the impression that you are not afraid of the Police, or anyone else. Thank you very much for sharing your ideas!
By the way I have a picture on my blog you might find entertaining. Two fantasy characters coinciding accidentally while performing their respective duties
http://klumsyk.blogspot.com/2012/11/blog-post.html