When I retired as a humanist celebrant I thought I'd stop writing this blog, but my fascination with all things death-related prompted more posts. They're just written from a slightly different perspective, that's all. Oh, and I still do the odd one, by special request.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Widow

I collect old photographs. This postcard was in a batch I've just bought from a dealer over the Internet. It appears to be a woman wearing mourning dress, though I've never seen this type of bonnet and veil before.

On the back of the card the dealer's written "early Edwardian", and there's a photographer's stamp; "Copyright - Lizzie Caswell Smith, 90 Gt. Russell Street, WC1".

Lizzie Caswell Smith is listed in the National Portrait Gallery's collections, but none of her photographs are shown online. Will have to check the next time I go there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in case you have not come across this site.

http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/date.htm

Margaret Nelson said...

Thanks Scatz.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fairly Merry Widow to me. Probably knocked off hubby and living off the insurance.
As for your question, 'twas not a vest but a lab coat from Lawrence Corner in London Village.